Friday, December 12, 2008

Friday Movie Clips: J.T. (1969)

Long considered a lost classic, J.T. is one of the best Christmas movies ever made. It was written by Lily Tomlin's writing partner Jane Wagner, based on her novel, and starring Kevin Hooks, Ja'net DuBois and Broadway veteran Theresa Merritt. It was also a yearly Christmas staple broadcast on CBS from 1969 to 1974 along with A Charlie Brown Christmas and tells the story of young poor ghetto boy who is on the cusp of becoming a teenager, while walking the fine line of choosing which road he'll take on a journey which offers sadly, only two choices: Either remain a "good person" and remain poor, or become a delinquent and remain poor, or worse, become a "bum". That is until he comes across a sickly, one-eyed stray cat which awakens his need to love and care for something seemingly more unfortunate than he is. I strongly identified with Kevin's character not only because it was one of the few realistic movies in which I saw myself (I, too, had a weakness for adopting stray cats and dogs) and looked forward to watching it every year.

There's something about the realism of the acting and attention to detail during this period that's not captured on screen much in today's movies, thanks to CGI effects and obvious artificial-looking studio lightning techniques. For instance, you can tell that most of the movie was shot on location in NYC. There's also one scene in JT's apartment where he's brushing his teeth in the bathroom which is so frighteningly realistic in its bleakness that I was instantly transported back to that era. There's also a scene immediately afterwards in the kitchen with his mother where I could actually smell the grease-stained thickness of several old coats of high gloss paint as well as Ja'net's tired acceptance of her situation.


There is also an inevitable heartbreaking circumstance that devastated me as a kid, but the lesson that came out of it was more fulfilling than any tree stuffed with toys. That was the unique lesson of this movie; some of us had Christmases where there was nothing under the tree. So sometimes, we had to look elsewhere for cheer and spirit, especially when it meant you had to suffer through going outside to play on Christmas morning, only to watch other kids zip up and down the block on shiny new 5-speed bicycles, or ambling over to the apartment of the one close friend who wouldn't give me a hard time about not getting anything and would let me play with his new toys.


The beauty of this movie is that through tragedy, it teaches kids the value of life, work and growing up in a straightforward and realistic manner, while keeping it simple. That's the gift.

And that's what made it such an unusual choice for a holiday movie, and I can see why it disappeared for a long time though, as it pulls no punches in its portrayal of what it's like to be poor, and in many ways, the loneliness of poverty. The payoff is ultimately rewarding, and should be required viewing for today's materialistically-challenged BET generation. Can a lot of them identify with the simple idea that the strength of family and values proves to pull J.T. through his struggles? Will they begin to hope if that's "how he'll get over", to paraphrase the old gospel song? Yeah. I believe so, because I'm just a big ball of hopeful mush deep down inside.

I'd love to see this movie's resurgence on TV One, for instance, but the interesting thing is that it's still so hard to find on DVD.

It has recently resurfaced on You Tube though, thanks to JTClarion, and I'm proud to be able to post it in it's entirety, in five parts. So for those of you who remember it, welcome it back with loving arms. For those who haven't, welcome to the NuOld School, where things still mean something.


UPDATE: I've found a link to J.T. on DVD here.



JT PART ONE



JT PART TWO



JT PART THREE



JT PART FOUR




JT PART FIVE

8 comments:

Timey Wimey said...

Today is Saturday, Dec. 13 2008, the 39th anniversary of this teleplay's first airing on CBS. My hazy memories of the film were obscured long ago in favor of the book adaptation with photographs by Gordon Parks Jr., but thanks to the interest expressed by people of our generation with a persistent childhood memory, bootleg VHS and DVD copies of this film have resurfaced and multiplied. Having seen it again for the first time in more than 30 years, it's not quite as good as I remembered -- it looks kind of cheap for something CBS reportedly paid $300,000 for in 1969 -- and young Kevin Hooks acting is mixed; his face and body language is just right but his line deliveries sound a bit artificial. however, the sentiment expressed in this tale rings true and the last act of the teleplay still brought this grown man to shed a tear.

I'm curious to find out where this was photographed. The story suggests Harlem but it may not have actually been shot there. There are scant clues to help figure this neighborhood out, like the rooftop scene showing a church in the distance, the street ending in a T-intersection and the wood-framed houses being torn down on the next block, but after 39 years this entire neighborhood may have been torn down and rebuilt.

Marie said...

This was my late husband's favorite movie. He grew up the youngest in a violent alcoholic family in Brooklyn. He was a sensitive soul and I know he related to the message here, as well as the circumstances. He died in 1993, so he never had a chance to see it again. He did not live to see the Internet age. I don't know if I can bring myself to watch it right now, but maybe someday.

I have made sure my children know about the site to give them an opportunity to connect with their father and something he loved.

Thank you.

lacdaddy said...

I was five when this first aired. I looked forward to seeing every year around Christmas time. It's been so long since I viewed this that I began to believe I made this up in my mind. No one else seemed to remember it but me. Thanks for a great trip down memory lane!

Anonymous said...

Its been about 35 years since I have seen this. As a kid, I remember how painful it was to watch, but I never missed it when it was shown at Christmas time. I was just talking about it to a friend and saying "Don't you remember... the cat who lived in the stove..."

Thanks for posting the video.

Timey Wimey said...

Follow-up to my comment made last year: I just learned at http://louiselarsen.blogspot.com/2008/11/i-finally-found-jt.html that it was actually filmed in the South Bronx on Gouveneur Place between Washington and Park ave. None of the buildings seen on the street remain today; all were torn down long ago.

Anonymous said...

Thank you. I feel like I was transported back to 1970 when I first saw this movie. It was as moving now as it was then.

Unknown said...

Thanks. This Christmas special comes to mind every Christmas for me. I just talked to my brother about it. He doesn't remember it. In '69 I was 10, he was 9 when it first aired. I loved it and looked forward to it for the few years that it was shown. I'm glad others remember and that its still available in some form.

Anonymous said...

My brother and I remember this movie from when we were kids; when this movie first aired and was shown the years following.
Every year close to the Holidays we remember and talk of this movie to our kids. Through this site my daughter and I watched the movie! It was great!
She put the link on her Facebook page and told all her friends that they have to watch it!
Thank you for putting this movie online for us to enjoy!
Kim