Thursday, December 4, 2008

Dog Saves Dog From A Dog Eat Dog World


Today was turning out to be a rather uninspiring one for me. I've been grappling with thoughts of what's next in terms of employment, greedy car makers, with regretful-looking downturned smiles on their faces begging Congress for money, while NeNe gets evicted (No Justice, No Peace!), VH1's Real Chance for Love and the continuing destruction of black civilization; no - make that all of "scripted reality" tv's effect on the destruction of civilization as a whole, condos sprouting up willy nilly like unwanted herpes outbreaks on the faces of neighborhoods I once loved, simultaneously driving up rents, and destroying the look of whole communties aesthetically while sucking out all of the soul, and the tired PR-planted gossip items about self-absorbed celebraddicts. No matter how many Obama posts I put up, I'm still faced with the fact that bloglife can be one big hopeless bore at times.

And then I come across something like this. Something so amazingly life-affirming, that my brain replays it over and over again, and although it might be upsetting for some, it managed to help me put some things into perspective . It's about an animal that I always thought embodied the spirit of unconditional love. I always tended to personify the few dogs I've had in my life, and treated them much like they were my children. Why do humans do this? I've seen the biggest guy approach the biggest lug of a dog and immediately commence to speak to it in his mushiest baby-talking voice, even going as far as giving giving it doggy tongue; those of you who love dogs with a fervor mostly associated with a Fred Phelps follower at an anti-fag rally will know what I mean by that term, and are completely unnapologetic about doing this. As for the reactions of people who don't care for canines, those of you who are cat lovers, save your "Ewww"s. Dogs rule. That's why Animal Planet's most popular show is called

It's Me Or The Dog - not cat.

Anyway, I now have hope that tomorrow all will be well with the world again. I'll troll for more gossip. Post more Obama stuff. Wallow in the misery that is reality tv. And continue to be a part of the woven threads that make up the basket into which some of us will placed and lowered into Hell. Yes, Life is Good. For now.

1 comment:

caramimi said...

my god, this made me cry. i'm always frustrated when us humans are surprised when animals emit emotion, or do something supposedly "humanlike." why is it difficult to understand that all of us creatures can display emotion, compassion, etc?

my hardened father once told me one of the most touching things he saw was a cat, on the side of the rode, mourning over it's mate who had just been hit by a car. *tears*