Sunday, November 23, 2008

Music Throwback Sunday

I figured that Sunday was as good a time as any to post and comment on some throwback jams that are special to me. For me, these songs symbolize a time when urban (née black) radio used to offer a more diverse playlist, and not just 5 or 10 songs in an infinite loop. In most cases, these songs consisted of actual musicians playing real instruments along with the occasional strings and orchestra backing. You could indeed find artists who still adhere to this standard today, but it's totally lost on the younger generation, which is a shame. I don't think that any real emphasis had been made on this generation to truly appreciate the music of previous decades,save for the occasional sample here and there, much as it was when I was a kid. And most of them still wouldn't know from where the sample originated, but maybe that's asking too much for now.

What's really sad about this is that they're now growing up with zero knowledge and patience for anything that's considered to be "too old". At times I just want to call them idiots, and keep it moving, but then I have to remember that things and trends tend to be cyclical, so perhaps when they're older and a bit more mature, they'll reach back past their own youth for more a substantive meaning in the music they listen to. Hopefully, they'll come across a few of these. Some of these selections I feel require no comment, as they stand on their own, in my opinion. I'd also like to hear about some of your own. I'll start off with a few slow jams, then I'll speed it up a bit.
Love To Share - Unlimited Touch
Dreaming - Bill Summers and Summers Heat

Now I Know You Know - Debbie Harry
Produced by Nile Rodgers. from Koo Koo.

Lets Start Over - Miles Jaye

Everlasting Love - Rufus

I Cant Say No (Digitally Remastered 02) - Natalie Cole

Remember What I Told You To Forget - Tavares


The System - Promises Can Break. Beautiful.

Mighty Fine - Peter Jacques Band
Considered an early two-step classic. Produced by Jacques Fred Petrus & Mauro Mavalasi. They formed Change two years before this release.


Serge Ponsar - Out In The Night. The production on this one reminds me of the works of Petrus/Mavalasi/Slade to some degree. Particularly their more funkier productions for the BB&Q Band.


Ullanda McCullough - Bad Company Produced by Ashford & Simpson. I remember reading the liner notes to some of A&S's late 70's production work for Diana Ross (The Boss and Gladys Knight & The Pips, to name a few), and noticed that Ullanda's name kept popping up as a backup singer. This, her second album, was one I played until the grooves were worn out! Love the strings.


Watson Beasley - Don't Let Your Chance Go Bye. I always thought this sounded like another Ashford & Simpson production.


The Emotions - All Things Come In Time. From their underappreciated gem from 1985, Sincerely. from Chicago imprint, Red Label.


Philippe Wynne - Wait Til Tomorrow/Bye Bye Love. This posthumous 1983 Fantasy release by the former lead singer from The Spinners was always one of my favorites.


The Blackbyrds - Love Don't Strike Twice. I remember hearing this for the first time on San Francisco's KBLX back in '81.


Tom Browne - Mr. Business from 1983's Rockin' Radio.


Stephanie Mills - Policy of Love from 1992's underrated Something Real.


Cheryl Lynn - Everytime I Try To Say Goodbye. Always loved the bass and keyboard work on this one.



Lee Ritenour - Countdown.
'BLS used to work this one back in '81-82.


El Coco - Love To The World. Downtempo Disco. Great bassline.


Chic - So Fine. from Take It Off.


David Oliver - Friends and Strangers


Temper - No Favors. Club '84, y'all.


Bryan Adams - Let Me Take You Dancin' . Yeah, let's get all cheezy 'n shyt. You know you liked this jam. What's interesting about this version is that this is the original take before it was sped up to make him sound like a 10 year old.


Break Machine - Street Dance


NY Community Choir - Express Yourself
I'll end things with the ultimate Brooklyn block party jam from 1977. The extended beat-break on this mix has not been surpassed since. Trust. For true hedz only.

No comments: