Wednesday, March 18, 2009

THE RETURN OF J-TO-THE-L-O

Damn, I've been wondering what's been up with the Boogie-Down Bronx's favorite daughter Jennifer Lopez. Seems she's back as Anita in a Vanity Fair spread inspired by the movie classic, West Side Story. I remember as a kid watching this movie every year when CBS used to run it as an event, along with The Wizard of Oz. Both movies used to scare the hell out of me, although for different reasons. I used to freak out on Oz when they showed the legs of the Wicked Witch's sister sticking out from beneath Dorothy's house, and I always thought the violence in WSS was too real. Man, talk about times a-changing................

Still, I got a kick out of "Cool" (Boy, boy, crazy boy, stay cooool boy......gotta rocket, in my pocket, stay coolsy coool, boy), and all dat dancing and choreographed cutting up. I even cried at some parts. Yeah, so what??!! It was the early 70's, and for those of us who grew up back then, there was still some innocence to youth, you know, without the internets and For the Love of Ray J around to fuck up our minds. We still came home after school, busted open a bag of chips and watched Magilla Gorilla, Popeye, The Courtship of Eddie's Father, The Munsters, Courageous Cat, Bugs Bunny, Felix the Cat and The Flintstones while attempting to get some homework done. A special shout for my nephew Greg, a choreophapher in his own right, who played Chino in a regional production in Albany, New York.

So, yo J, thanks for taking me back. And you still got that back action on lock.

A special shout out for my nephew Greg Marsh, a choreographer in his own right, who played Chino in a regional production in Albany, New York.



Anita (JLo) breaks it down for the Shark crew,
and Chris Evans gets the First Cut as Riff